Tuesday, January 15, 2008

His post, My post.

This is the kind of attitude I have to battle on a daily basis in my classroom. Here is a post by one of my fellow students:

"I think exaggeration and misinterpretation plays a large role in the Arab-Israeli conflict, especially when it comes to international opinion. Presently, as with every other issue facing the world today, international news media has a tendency to spin the truth in order to accomplish their own goals or pursue their own agenda. With regard to the Arab-Israeli conflict, international public opinion is often based on which outlet the general public derives their information. For example Fox News has a reputation for being fairly unbiased. This is not the case with regard to the Arab-Israeli conflict, considering they have a tendency to make it appear that the Arabs are "saints" and the Israelis are "war mongers." I visit the Fox News website daily and whenever their is an event in that part of the world involving Israeli military action and Arab casualties it makes front page on their website. However when their is a bus bombing in Tel Aviv for example, it is often pushed to the back and/or most of the story in focused on Israeli military response.."

My post:
"I think that Fox News has a reputation for putting a right-wing spin on news. Visit Al-Jazeera, BBC, and other sites, and you will see an entirely different spin. I don't think that any American news station makes Arabs look like saints. In fact, I think our media tends to villify them. When, in viewing anything on an American media outlet, do you ever see the deplorable conditions in which Palestinians live, the persecution to which they are subjected, or the times that Jewish terrorists bomb their side of that abhorrent wall?"

1 comment:

Dubai Jazz said...

oh Paige, this classmate of yours is as clueless as it could get.
You've done quite a good job responding to him, I wonder what he thinks is an unbiased american new outlet with regards to the Arab-Iraeli conflict? ASPN?