Wednesday, March 14, 2007

The Red Baron


Why, you may ask, did I choose the Red Baron as my pseudonym for the blogsphere? Baron Manfred von Richthofen represents a bygone era in which people were more genteel, more mannerly, and more civilized, even in times of war. Instead of severing his opponent's head or torturing the enemy, the Red Baron would land his dreaded red flying machine and find the pilot he had shot down. If the man needed medical attention, the Red Baron would see to it that he received the care he needed. Once, after a particularly challenging flight during which his British opponent nearly shot him down, Baron von Richthofen summoned medical assistance for the badly wounded man. He then discovered to which hospital the ambulance had taken his opponent. That British pilot was rendered absolutely speechless when he received a box of expensive cigars at his hospital suite. They were from the Red Baron! The German hero wanted to congratulate his opponent on a fight well fought!


That is why I chose the Red Baron as my pseudonym. I would like to think that I can perpetuate a bit of his character. Baron von Richthofen was not a bloodthirsty villian who enjoyed the death of people with whom he did not agree. I think that he understood humility, civility, and ethics; qualities we all need to embody in the 21st century.

No comments: